Popcorn is a healthy snack option; not the way movie theaters douse it with hot, greasy golden liquid mimicking butter, but remove the blanket of grease and it’s a guilt-free food to mindlessly munch while watching the latest Hollywood flick. Of course every savory snack should be balanced with a sweet snack so why not pair it with caramel popcorn?
If you’re watching from your couch, not a germy reclining theater chair, skip the seeds and hulls by making your own sticky sweet and salty mix using puff corn cereal. And toss in hot tamales or cinnamon Red Hots® candies.
If you go out for movie night, this brings up a moral question. Is it OK to bring a bag of homemade caramel cashew corn puffs into the movie theater if you buy an extortionate $12 box of hot tamales or Red Hots from concessions?
Caramel Cashew Corn Puffs
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
7 cups corn puff cereal (I use Corn Pops®)
2 cups salted cashews
1-2 cups red hots candies or hot tamales candies (optional)
- Preheat oven to 225°.
- Mix cereal and cashews in a large bowl.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup; boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Drop in baking soda and stir well.
- Pour caramel mixture into cereal and cashew mixture. Stir to coat thoroughly.
- Spread cereal mixture onto two baking sheets lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Bake at 225° for one hour, stirring around every 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool the caramel corn on sheets of wax paper.
- Stir in hot tamales or cinnamon Red Hots candies. Store in airtight container for one week.
Sticky blockbuster wishes,