It sounds like an online dating ad for a salad, but this side dish has a lot going for it with its slippery olive oil and peppery chunks of salami. It will catch your attention without an embellished ingredient list or exaggerated prep time. And the bio picture, well let’s just say it’s not digitally enhanced but when you make it, your salad will have penne pasta. (By the second batch of the weekend, I ran out of penne and substituted rotini.)
Easy Salami Pasta Salad doesn’t contain mayonnaise or eggs so it’s a smart option for outdoor entertaining, picnics, and office lunches. And more times than not, I’ve eaten this as the main course. It keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days so you want to eat it up quickly or share it with your friends.
For heightened flavor, use a good olive oil. Here are a few resources:
- Local to the Brookings, South Dakota area – visit the Coteau des Prairies Olive Oil Co. tasting bar at the Pheasant Restaurant and Lounge located at 726 Main Avenue South. Or shop online at Coteau des Prairies Olive Oil Co.
- Read or listen to “What extra virgin means, and who in the olive oil industry abides” from the Splendid Table.
- Review journalist Tom Mueller’s complete list of olive oil recommendations.
- Read Tom Mueller’s supermarket picks: quality oils at good prices.
View our favorite Easy Salami Pasta Salad recipe from Taste of Home.
Easy Salami Pasta Salad
- 3 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 8 ounces hard salami, cubed
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 green onions, diced
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh basil, or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Prepare the pasta as directed on the package. Drain and rinse the pasta thoroughly with cold water. Set aside to drain completely.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss together the pasta, salami, parsley, onions, oregano, basil, and olive oil mixture. Store covered in the refrigerator overnight or at least 12 hours.
Immediately before serving, top with shredded Parmesan cheese.
Store in refrigerator 2 or 3 days. Makes 8 servings.