My daughter loves traditional Snickers apple salad with vanilla pudding, whipped cream, red and green apples, and Snickers candy bars. I was excited to tailor it to other flavors she likes by pouring coconut milk into the pudding and tossing in Butterfinger candy instead of Snickers.
But you’d have thought I added bright red beets.
Me: “Kalani, I made a special salad for you like the Snickers and apple salad you love but it has Butterfingers in it.”
Kalani: “Oh, I don’t really like Butterfingers that much. I like Snickers so that’s why I like that salad.”
Me: “Um, well, I was excited to make it for you because when we go to the Zesto, you always order a Butterfinger Avalanche with coconut and chocolate ice cream.”
Kalani: “Ya, well that’s because Snickers freeze when they are in ice cream and they are too hard to eat.”
Me: “OK. It’s in the refrigerator if you decide to try some. It has Honeycrisp and green apples.”
The next day…
Kalani: “That salad was actually really good!”
Me: “I’m glad you liked it! Could you taste coconut?”
Me: “If I make it again I’ll add more coconut milk. I didn’t use too much because I wasn’t sure if the taste would be too strong. I didn’t actually use coconut because I don’t like coconut.”
Butterfinger Apple Coconut Salad
- 1 cup cold coconut milk (find coconut milk in the Chinese/Oriental food section - do NOT use cream of coconut)
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (8 ounce) carton whipped cream
- 2 Granny Smith apples, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Honeycrisp apples, chopped into bite-sized pieces (or your favorite red apple)
- bag of fun-size Butterfinger candy bars, chopped (or 5 regular size Butterfinger candy bars chopped)
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
In a large bowl, whisk coconut milk and milk with pudding mix. Let it rest for 3 minutes. Fold in whipped cream. Gently fold in chopped apples, candy bars, and coconut.
Cover and refrigerate until serving. Best if eaten within 24 hours. Makes approximately 12 servings.